(This is general information, could change, and is not to be considered for marketing or solicitation).
For this advisory service, we are targeting accredited and different types of institutional investors that are aligned with our philosophies. We are focused on global, public and private emerging businesses that apply science and technology in creative ways to solve important problems in society at the root cause.
Global, Micro-to-Mid Capitalization Public Company Investment Recommendations: micro-to-mid capitalization public equity investments in global, emerging businesses. Investors can expect our financial and business goals to be aligned. We take longer term views with our investments which are essential to add value to the businesses as well as earn the outperformance in financial returns we seek (though we can offer no guarantees or promises). Some of the investments may be less liquid so having investors that expect to pull money in and out over shorter time frames would be counterproductive.
We are valuation sensitive and patient. We are happy to own cash if valuations look too rich or the market, in general, looks too risky. We actively look for early identification of micro-trends within an industry and capitalize on the earlier mover advantage. We are earlier in and take profits along the way as necessary. We are not momentum investors.
- We choose investments that apply science and technology in creative ways to solve important problems in society at their root cause.
- We use a rigorous and disciplined analytical process to identify these investments, leveraging a 25 plus year investment track record of “finding the needles in the haystack.”
- We select 20-50 global public companies depending on market conditions, in a mostly long-only investment strategy. Occasional hedging techniques may be used to smooth out volatility in certain market conditions.
- We also occasionally select direct investments in less liquid public companies.
- Initial position sizes not to exceed 5 percent of the portfolio.
- Disciplined sell decisions if investment needs profit taking or investment thesis changes for some reason, but our holding period is expected to be longer term for our key holdings.
- For riskier investments we are careful about position size and percentage of portfolio dedicated to such strategies, but are generally comfortable managing these risks.
- When any position doubles in market capitalization, we generally sell half the position at that time.
- We are comfortable holding higher levels of cash, especially during times of uncertainty or high volatility to help smooth out cycles and make sure adequate cash to buy positions of interest on dips.
- Preferred initial investments: before product roll outs, very early on in new growth cycles, if stocks of interest fall in value and create opportunity, after early technology validation, at early stages of important new industry trends, valuation sensitive.
- We work collaboratively with companies to assist them when necessary with financial/executive/scientific/technical resources.
- We take the longer view with our company investments and make sure all business and financial interests are aligned with all important stakeholders.
Global, Private Company Investment Recommendations: a mixture of 1) companies expected to come public soon 2) growth equity investments for companies that need expansion capital 3) fringe science and technology with high potential for disruption and 4) businesses or projects using lean business/investment principles and more flexible financial structures to invest in a broader range of high impact products or services with exciting science or technology (There is much more detailed information on our private investment strategy in our discussion of our direct deal service).